Re: [Aroid-l] NOT a Piper sp.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] NOT a Piper sp.
  • From: <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:36:44 +0100

Hi all,

Pothos (or even Photos [!] ) is a commonly used name by nurseries and gardeners for several forms of Epipremnum, Scindapsus, or Rhaphidophira. We must remember that the genus Pothos belongs to another subfamily Pothoideae, and the genera mentioned above belong to Monsteroideae, tribe Monstereae. The Monstereae tribe is easy to distinguish even when not in bloom. Just look at the leaves - one leaf has a right side broader, the next one has the left side broader and so on. When unfolding they are sequentially left and right convolute.

Marek