{Disarmed} Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts
  • From: Gartenbau Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger@web.de>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:49:47 +0100

A couple of years ago I received rhizoms of different anubias (gigantea, afzellii and three unidentified) from one of the experts in the HBV (Vienna University, Botanical Gardens). They had been collected in a dried out riverbed in Eastern Africa and then

legally imported into Austria for research work. The original plants are kept in water containers, the rhizoms permanently submerged and the leafs growing out up to more then a meter. I was asked, to try to grow them in pots in a sandy potting mix and not submerged (!), but regularely watered. All of them are doing extremly well under this conditions and I think, some species have a high potential to perform as hardy pot plants.

In winter I do keep them indoors (not necessarely in a greenhouse ) and in summer I put them outside in a shady spot.

Unfortuantely I had a drawback some weeks ago, caused by some neglect re. watering. It was my fault. But meanwhile all of them do recover and show lots of new shoots.

So I think there is much more investigation required, to make these wonderful, decoartive plants useful, notonly for aquarium enthusiasts.

Helmut Reisenberger