Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 08:48:55 -0500

This is a very interesting anecdote regarding Anubias hardiness. See also my note to Jani. The only other observation is the probably extreme hardiness of the rhizome. The plants can probably sacrifice any leaves while hunkering down in the rhizome to await better times when water is more available. I don't know how durable the rhizomes might be for cold. I have placed Cryptocoryne rhizomes in a refrigerator for weeks (what is that?, 45F/8C?, something in that range). What happens to these rather delicate plants is that the existing leaves melt, but new leaves come readily. Who knows? Maybe Anubias can survive as a protected rhizome down to near freezing. Maybe some of the Florida people can experiment.

P.S. I would be careful in Florida. I think Anubias could be an invasive species. There are reports of colonies of the Asian Cryptocoryne naturalized in Florida and Texas.

Gartenbau Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger@web.de>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

12/22/2006 06:49 AM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

A couple of years ago I received rhizoms of different anubias (gigantea, afzellii and three unidentified) from one of the experts in the HBV (Vienna University, Botanical Gardens). They had been collected in a dried out riverbed in Eastern Africa and then

legally imported into Austria for research work. The original plants are kept in water containers, the rhizoms permanently submerged and the leafs growing out up to more then a meter. I was asked, to try to grow them in pots in a sandy potting mix and not submerged (!), but regularely watered. All of them are doing extremly well under this conditions and I think, some species have a high potential to perform as hardy pot plants.

In winter I do keep them indoors (not necessarely in a greenhouse ) and in summer I put them outside in a shady spot.

Unfortuantely I had a drawback some weeks ago, caused by some neglect re. watering. It was my fault. But meanwhile all of them do recover and show lots of new shoots.

So I think there is much more investigation required, to make these wonderful, decoartive plants useful, notonly for aquarium enthusiasts.

Helmut Reisenberger

Von: Discussion of aroids
21.12.06 19:18:10
Discussion of aroids
Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

The only aroid species I know very muchabout are Anubias and Cryptocoryne. The se are definitely moisture-lovingplants and would not appreciate dryness.

There are many varieties of each andthese vary in requirements. Many of the Anubias are large plants and caneasily get too big for an aquarium. Just this past weekend I was visitinga friend with an Anubias with leaves easily half a meter high, with theleaf blades completely above the water line. The one well-behaved Anubiasthat can be kept neatly submerged in a typical aquarium is the one calledAnubias barteri nana or just Anubias nana. This last species is also verytough and resists even plant-nibbling fish. In my tanks it reaches a maximumleaf length, including petiole, of about 20 cm. More typically it is halfthat. Its only drawback is that is grows slowly. But it is easy to growand should be readily available from any aquarium club and many commercialstores.

Cryptocoryne are generally more challenging;some may say a lot more challenging. While many will perform satisfactorilysubmerged in water, many require an "emerse" culture, meaningwith their leaves above the water line and their roots wet. For a quickreference I recommend the site maintained by Jan Bastemeijer of the Netherlands.There is much information there. He may still be a member of this list.His site can be reached at:

Beyond that it would be well to makeacquaintance of an aquatic plant fancier who lives near you. In fact, ifyou contact Jan he can probably put you in touch with one of the membersof the European Crypt society.

Good luck,

"Agoston Janos"<agoston.ja nos@citromail.hu>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

12/21/2006 10:39 AM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

"AROID-L" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
[Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lotsof questions + contacts

Dear All,

Can somebody help me with variegated Araceae? BecauseI do not know how variegation starts. Are there some viruses or chemicalswhich can induce variegation? Can occure variegation by micropropagation?How often?

The second question would be: How to take care of Anubiasand Cryptocoryne. They are sold as aquatic plants, but my Anubias has grownout from the tank. Do they need a dry period or what? What are the requirementsof Lysichitons. I have allready killed 5 pcs.

Sorry for the many questions, but I still not receivedthe Aroid book, and thank you for your help in advance!

I have new mail addresses.
contact@hagymarium.hu- not too often checked, but weekly
szaki@hagymarium.hu- - not too often checked, but weekly

And you can call me on skype: