[Aroid-l] Anubias and Root Rot

Jani,

Sorry for this delayed response. I am only on line here today due to time off from work (I am too much of a primitive to have e-mail from home).

The Anubias I know are fully aquatic tolerant as far as roots go. They form a sort of creeping rhizome with tough, leathery roots that attach quite firmly to substrate and objects. Both the roots and rhizomes are perfectly happy submerged all the time. They will grow and thrive when covered with typical aquarium gravel or adapt to simply being submerged in the water without any substrate at all.

I have not experimented with them with regard to leaf exposure to atmosphere except in those cases when the leaves emerge naturally above the water line. Perhaps they have leaf cuticles that can permit life in plain atmosphere as well as cuticles for submerged living, that don't need to resist evaporation as much. I can well imagine that leaves grown under water would shrivel if forced to live emergent. But I can also believe that newly formed leaves in the same situation would live in atmosphere without shrivelling. Of course, I'm sure they would not adapt to live in actually arid conditions since emergent life for them would still be pretty nearly 100% relative humidity in their native habitat.

The flowers always attempt to become emergent in my experience. The inflorescence stalk will elongate as needed. Flowering is similar to Spaths when conditions are to their liking. That is to say, they flower pretty freely.

I hope you are successful.

Ted.

"Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

12/21/2006 02:08 PM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
cc
Subject
[Aroid-l] Re: Anubias

Dear Ted,

Thank you for the reply. I would like to know if I can keep Anubias in a normal way, not submerged. I saw, that if Anubias barteri flowered under the water, the inflorescence rottened, but when it reached the surface of the water it never rottened. Is this means that it flowers emerged?

Unfortunately I gave my full aquarium to my cousin, but years ago I gave naftil acid (50%, in alcohol) to the water and Kemira 2. soluable fertilizer. That time Anubias has grown very good.

You also not covering the rhizome with sand, do you? What do you do to avoid root rotting?

Thank you again for your help.

Bye,
Jani