Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

The only aroid species I know very much about are Anubias and Cryptocoryne. These are definitely moisture-loving plants and would not appreciate dryness.

There are many varieties of each and these vary in requirements. Many of the Anubias are large plants and can easily get too big for an aquarium. Just this past weekend I was visiting a friend with an Anubias with leaves easily half a meter high, with the leaf blades completely above the water line. The one well-behaved Anubias that can be kept neatly submerged in a typical aquarium is the one called Anubias barteri nana or just Anubias nana. This last species is also very tough and resists even plant-nibbling fish. In my tanks it reaches a maximum leaf length, including petiole, of about 20 cm. More typically it is half that. Its only drawback is that is grows slowly. But it is easy to grow and should be readily available from any aquarium club and many commercial stores.

Cryptocoryne are generally more challenging; some may say a lot more challenging. While many will perform satisfactorily submerged in water, many require an "emerse" culture, meaning with their leaves above the water line and their roots wet. For a quick reference I recommend the site maintained by Jan Bastemeijer of the Netherlands. There is much information there. He may still be a member of this list. His site can be reached at:

http://www.NationaalHerbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html. .

Beyond that it would be well to make acquaintance of an aquatic plant fancier who lives near you. In fact, if you contact Jan he can probably put you in touch with one of the members of the European Crypt society.

Good luck,

"Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

12/21/2006 10:39 AM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

"AROID-L" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
[Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

Dear All,
Can somebody help me with variegated Araceae? Because I do not know how variegation starts. Are there some viruses or chemicals which can induce variegation? Can occure variegation by micropropagation? How often?
The second question would be: How to take care of Anubias and Cryptocoryne. They are sold as aquatic plants, but my Anubias has grown out from the tank. Do they need a dry period or what? What are the requirements of Lysichitons. I have allready killed 5 pcs.
Sorry for the many questions, but I still not received the Aroid book, and thank you for your help in advance!
I have new mail addresses.
contact@hagymarium.hu - not too often checked, but weekly
szaki@hagymarium.hu - - not too often checked, but weekly
And you can call me on skype: skype:viraghagymasz?call
Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l mailing list