Re: [Aroid-l] Re: variegata aroids

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: variegata aroids
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:09:24 -0500

Jani:

There are several other variegated aroids that haven't been mentioned. The most stable that we have grown is the Peltandra virginica with a narrow white edge. Pinellia tripartita 'Dragon Tails' is fairly unstable, but some of our seedlings are nearly solid gold and have been stable for several years. The pinstripe-type arisaemas aren't exactly variegated, but the highlighted silver vein effect is the same. There is also an Alocasia cucculata with a nice yellow edge that we have grown for years and now a new one is hitting the trade from Thailand with a golden center. Alocasia odora 'Okinawa Silver' is an unstable variegation pattern, but the pattern doesn't disappear. Ditto, the speckled A. 'Portadora'. The variegated Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Pershore Fantasia' holds for few years, but after that there is more green than variegated. I'm sure that there are more on the way.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent