[Aroid-l] Re: Xanthosoma violaceum

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Xanthosoma violaceum
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:32:17 -0800

> Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:18:10 +0000
> From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
>
> Helmuts report (below) clarifies what I am trying to say.
> The plant that he  is calling X. 'violacia" (w/ dark green
> leaf stalks, and with green leaves  and with a purple hue
> over the leaves) sure sounds like to 'new' one from  Cen.
> America which I reported in my earlier post, and Eduardo
> ID`d it from a  photo sent in as NOT being X. violacium,
> but another 'good' species like X.  sagittifolium, I don`t
> remember exactly which. The second which Helmut is calling
> X. 'nigra' with the very dark purple  petioles I THINK is
> what we have being called X. violacium!    BUT---until
> Eduardo gets his review of the cultivated forms/species of
> Xanthosoma  completed, we shall always remain in doubt!
> Helmut, please if at all possible post photos of these
> plants to the aroid-l  and we can all take a look at them,
> and perhaps Dr.Goncalves can give us his  opinion.

All this talk of scrambled X. taxomomy reminded me.  'Way
back in '96, I studied, for a class project, a tall-trunked
Xanthosoma in Monteverde, Costa Rica, which, at the time,
was in the process of being segregated from X. jacquinii.  I
wonder where the new name was published, and what it is?

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large