Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:18:10 +0000

From : 	Gartenbau Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger@web.de>
Sent : 	Sunday, December 24, 2006 2:49 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum

Hello Helmut, Peter and Jani,

Helmuts report (below) clarifies what I am trying to say. The plant that he is calling X. 'violacia" (w/ dark green leaf stalks, and with green leaves and with a purple hue over the leaves) sure sounds like to 'new' one from Cen. America which I reported in my earlier post, and Eduardo ID`d it from a photo sent in as NOT being X. violacium, but another 'good' species like X. sagittifolium, I don`t remember exactly which. The second which Helmut is calling X. 'nigra' with the very dark purple petioles I THINK is what we have being called X. violacium! BUT---until Eduardo gets his review of the cultivated forms/species of Xanthosoma completed, we shall always remain in doubt! Helmut, please if at all possible post photos of these plants to the aroid-l and we can all take a look at them, and perhaps Dr.Goncalves can give us his opinion.

The Best,

Julius

Hi Peter, Hi Jani

I´ve once learned, there is a difference beetween Xanthosoma violacea and X. nigra, the first with green leaf stalks, green

leaves and a purple hue over the green, the latter with very dark purple petioles. Is that correkt?

Some of our X. nigra are regularely flowering in our greenhouse in Vienna. Next time I´ll take a picture.

Seasonal greatings

Helmut Reisenberger