[Aroid-l] Amorphophallus coaetaneus

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus coaetaneus
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:49:48 -0600

Hello all.

Last winter I received an order from Chen Yi that contained A-145, a mystery Arisaema. Well, that Arisaema turned out to be Amorphophallus coaetaneus. One promptly rotted but somehow I managed to save the other. I now have a happy little plant but I have no idea what to do with it.

Is anyone growing this plant? Any guess as to its winter hardiness? It did not go dormant when bulbifer, konjac, napalensis or paeonifolius did. Does that mean its on one of those tropical "I'll go dormant when I'm good and ready" schedules? When (if) it goes dormant, should it stay in the pot in damp or dry soil?

Any help will be appreciated.  I would hate to kill it with stupidity.

Russell Coker
Mobile, Alabama  zn 8b