Re: Jasarum

  • Subject: Re: Jasarum
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:28:15 +0000

   )
Sent: 	Thu 12/13/07 4:01 AM
To: 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Security scan upon download 	Trend Micro ® logo
Attachments: ATT00001 (0.1 KB)

Dear Friend,

There was a fantastic article on this plant with many photos, maps and drawings  in Aroideana Vol. 8, no. 2, written  by Josef Bogner. It had been described previously by Dr. George Bunting, and previous to Buntings collection in Venezuela, it  had been discovered by S. and C. Tillett in the Mazaruni area of Br. Guiana in 1960.
The plant grows in a small area of inland Br. Guiana and Venezuela in fast flowing streams, its rhizomes buried deep in their gravel bottom. It is not to my knowledge in cultivation.  It`s closest relatives are reported to be the Caladiums and Xanthosomas.
Reference papers on it are--
Bunting, G. S. 1975  Nuevas especiess para la revision de las Araceas Venezolanas.  Acta Botanica Venezuelica 10: 263-335 (published 3 Feb. 1977).
Bogner, J. 1977  Jasarum steyermarkii Bunting (Araceae).  Aqua Planta 2/3: 4-7.
Madison, M. 1981.  Notes on caladium (Araceae) and its allies.   Selbyana 5: 342-377.
I hope this information helps.

Julius

>>Hello all,

I have recently come across a reference to Jasarum   in Deni Brown's book on Aroids.  Does anyone know more about this species?  From what I have learned, it is aquatic(the main reason I am interested in this), and grows in eastern Venezuela.  Deni Brown's book has a drawing of one, but otherwise I cannot find a picture of it on the internet.
Does anyone know, is the species difficult to find?  Has no one seen it again?  Is it really big, or really small, and has anyone attempted to grow it in a greenhouse or lab?

Curious