Edible Lemna

Well, it looks like no one knows about Lemna. Fortunately, through the MBOT site one can link up to a couple of good sites about Lemna and its related kinfolk. I have not yet found any information about overwintering (turions) and some of my other questions. But there is one guy named W. P. Armstrong who seems to be a serious classifier of Lemna and his web site can be reached through MBOT's site. One especially interesting item there shows some foods made from Wolffia. I know this will appeal to JB, if no one else. Here is the direct link:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/genimg2.htm#gourmet

Unfortunately there are only pictures of the foods, no recipes, and the whole thing might well be a gag since there is no information about how to wash your Wolffia free of leaches, snails and various waterborne parasites that the fastidious might fret about.

But otherwise he has much information. Included are a number of photomicrographs of Lemna and allies in flower. If you try hard you can convince yourself that these are indeed aroids. The flowers are really little.

Good holiday for everyone. I look forward to a mass of postings when I return.

Ted.