Re: Anthurium gracile

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium gracile
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:34:42 +0000

[Aroid-l] Anthurium gracile‏
From: 	aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com on behalf of Joseph S. (nonamethefish@gmail.com)
Sent: 	Sat 12/29/07 5:55 PM
To: 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com

Dear Joseph,

Anthurium gracile is VERY common in my homeland of Trinidad, W.I.   It`s growth habits in the wild there will give you a hint as to some of the conditions you might use in its cultivation here.
I recall seeing THOUSANDS of plants of this species blanketing the horizontal limbs of the HUGE Samman trees (Samman--think a HUGE live oak, umbrella-like in shape, main horizontal limbs about 2'-3' in dia. off a 8' trunk 6-8' in dia.).   A. gracile self-pollinates, and in season the thousands of ripening infructesences with red berries are quite a spectacle to see.
Grow it in a basket of a coarse orchid-type mix, or on a bark-covered slab of say Cypress wood in medium to light shade, and when established it might be left to dry out almost completely between waterings.  Others may recomend that it be kept slightly moist between waterings.

Good Growing,

Julius

>>Anyone here have any thoughts on the culture of Anthurium gracile? How
long do they take to get established? Also, not sure if this is
appropriate here but I am looking for an additional plant/seedling or
two.

~Joseph