Re: Amorphophallus species need info

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus species need info
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:23:24 -0800

Hey, Taylor!

The best thing to do is check out the IAS website: http://www.aroid.org/

Especially the Amorphophallus section: http://www.aroid.org/genera/generapage.php?genus=amorphophallus

This has tons of pictures on the species that you are interested in.

Scads of information (including photos and detailed descriptions) is available in Volume 19 of the journal Aroidiana, which is available here: http://www.aroid.org/genera/amorphophallus/journal.php

Dr. Wilbert Hetterscheid is reportedly working on a manuscript that will tell us everything known about Amorphophallus up to the date of publication.  He also gave us this: http://www.hort.net/lists//aroid-l/sep07/msg00061.html

A while back someone posted to the list an Amorphophallus soil/dormancy list that would be of benefit to you, which I seem to have misplaced. If someone else out there could repost it to me I would appreciate it!

Good luck, Taylor. I hope you have lots of fun growing these amazing plants. My son started with orchids when he was 12. He is 16 now and still enjoys them very much. One thing he does that may or may not be an option for you, is that he volunteers at our local university growing and propagating their plants. He learns a lot and they often give him plants for his efforts.

Best wishes,

D. Christopher Rogers

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

1.530. 383.4798 (cell)

1307 "L" Street

Davis, CA 95616

ŸInvertebrate Taxonomy

ŸEndangered Species

ŸEcological Studies

ŸInvasive Species

Moscow, Idaho Ÿ Bozeman, Montana Ÿ Davis, California Ÿ Joplin, Missouri

Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania Ÿ London, Ontario