Re: Tissue culture question/cultivation practices

  • Subject: Re: Tissue culture question/cultivation practices
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:56:32 +0000

Dear Alison,

I have read all the replies, but wonder if Agristarts will be willing to tissue culture this plant. My guess is that they will only do so if it is financially a good move by them.
 If you fail with Agristarts, it just MIGHT be a more viable solution to try to replicate it by division.  You say that the owner ''can not divide it'', but maybe if you suggest different (better?) cultural practices, the plant just might be ''encouraged'' to develop divisions.  A while ago Pete Boyce described how certain Alocasias grow in the wild (under natural conditions).   That most in cultivation seem to develop too-long/tall rhizomes and then fall over was explained by the fact that in nature, the leaf fall in the jungle is SO heavy that new litter/compost is constantly being developed around an Alocasia`s elongating/taller rhizome into which supporting roots are produced.  Pete suggested planting these type of Alocasias deeper within a deep pot, leaving space above the original ''soil'' surface within the pot to which leaf compost could be added as the rhizome increased in length.   Some Alocasias also grow seemingly too-tall, then lean/fall over and grow along the ground.  At this stage off-shoots may be produced back along the recumbently growing rhizome, this may be what you guys want to replicate in this one plant, and the off-shoots can be removed.  You could also cut the now way-too-long horizontal rhizome back near its base once there are roots nearer to the growing ''head'', off-shoots will then be produced from joints along the basal section.  Regular fertilization with a WEAK liquid fertilizer will hasten growth.

Good Luck,