Panama Aroid]]

Dear Steve & Harry:

            Sorry that Mike was not able to be more certain of what it was.  I really do believe that it is a Pteromischum and certainly it is close to P. aurantiifolium Schott.

From: Michael Grayum
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:41 AM
To: Tom Croat
Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Panama Aroid

Dear Tom,

It doesn’t look much like P. hederaceum to me.  Could be just about anything, especially given the nebulous locality data, quite usual with these horticultural sorts (how could somebody not know what country they were in?).  If it is a Pteromischum (which I can’t entirely rule out), it would likely be P. tuerckheimii, especially if it really is from Panama; in Panama, I circumscribed P. tuerckheimii rather broadly to include several aberrant “races” (discussed in the revision), some with broad leaves like those pictured.  Or it could just as easily be a juvenile plant of a non-Pteromischum Philodendron.  Or, alternatively, it could be something like a Monstera!  For example, juvenile plants of M. dissecta can look a lot like the pictured samples (and may even flower precociously in that state).  Can’t say much more.  <MG