Amorphophallus titanum blooming in Brazil!!!!

Dear aroiders, Just to let you know... Good news from the Inhotim Botanical Garden. Our Amorphophallus titanum is flowering after 10 years from seed! I received seeds from Selby Gardens (thank you, fellows) in 1999 or 2000 (I have to check in my files, but it was during my PhD in Sao Paulo) and kept it with me since then. Unfortunately, only one survived (from 3 or 4 seeds) but seeing the big baby blooming is something unforgettable. We were not expecting it to flower right now because the tuber weighted less than 13 kg during dormancy and it suffered a lot last year (because last winter was a bit cold and dry) and it wasn't out of the controlled greenhouse. But I have to respect its decision and it simply decided to flower right now! The plant is not in open access areas (so we will not be able to show it to general public this time) but we are photographing a lot and allowing specialized visit (drop by if you are around). I am attaching a picture of the little monster (taken last friday) for those of you that are just curious about a flowering A. titanum in Latin America! I will keep you posted. Very best wishes, Eduardo.

INHOTIM

DR. EDUARDO G. GONÇALVES Pesquisador Curador
Rua Antônio de Albuquerque, 215 | Funcionários
30112-010 | Belo Horizonte | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3223.8224

Rua B, 20
35460-000 | Brumadinho | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3571.6638