Re: Amorphophallus titanum blooming in Brazil!!!!

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus titanum blooming in Brazil!!!!
  • From: Geneviève Ferry <jpcferry2@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:17:27 +0100

Félicitations Eduardo !
Geneviève

-----Message d'origine-----
From: eduardo.goncalves@inhotim.org.br
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:08 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum blooming in Brazil!!!!

Dear aroiders,

Just to let you know... Good news from the Inhotim Botanical Garden. Our
Amorphophallus titanum is flowering after 10 years from seed! I received
seeds from Selby Gardens (thank you, fellows) in 1999 or 2000 (I have to
check in my files, but it was during my PhD in Sao Paulo) and kept it with
me since then. Unfortunately, only one survived (from 3 or 4 seeds) but
seeing the big baby blooming is something unforgettable. We were not
expecting it to flower right now because the tuber weighted less than 13 kg
during dormancy and it suffered a lot last year (because last winter was a
bit cold and dry) and it wasn't out of the controlled greenhouse. But I
have to respect its decision and it simply decided to flower right now!
The plant is not in open access areas (so we will not be able to show it to
general public this time) but we are photographing a lot and allowing
specialized visit (drop by if you are around).
I am attaching a picture of the little monster (taken last friday) for
those of you that are just curious about  a flowering A. titanum in Latin
America! I will keep you posted.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

INHOTIM

DR. EDUARDO G. GONÇALVES

Pesquisador Curador

Rua Antônio de Albuquerque, 215 | Funcionários
30112-010 | Belo Horizonte | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3223.8224

Rua B, 20
35460-000 | Brumadinho | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3571.6638