Re: depolluting plants

Genevieve,

I have never heard of this term myself. It seems from your message
that people are advertising plants as being "de-polluted". Is that
correct? If that is so, my initial reaction is that it is a false
claim. The amount of pollution is going to be almost unimaginably low
in a cultivated plant that looks healthy. Even if a plant did have
some low level of pollution (and one wonders what that term might
mean; it could mean heavy metals, plutonium, organic toxins, or any
number of substances) in its tissues, unless you ate a very large
quantity, the transfer to you or your environment will be essentially
nil.

Maybe someone else has better information here. But you raise my
natural scientific skepticism.

Ted Held
Research Chemist.