Re: Edible Chubas

  • Subject: Re: Edible Chubas
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:22:47 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jason,

Chubas....you have been channeling the late, Julius Boos.  Here in Hawaii, araimo is commonly grown from the tubers in well drained soil in full sun.  The leaves are edible too, but, cook them and the tubers well or you will pay the calcium oxalate price.  When you buy your tubers, just make sure they have no blemishes and are fresh and plump, not dried and wrinkled.  It should be easy.  Typical taro is a bit different, and most of them are grown from the tops with a bit of tuber.  This depends on the variety and how it produces offsets.

Good luck and good eating.