Re: Vines and the Coriolis Effect

It's my understanding that most species have a characteristic
phyllotaxy.  Would we expect then that a given species planted
"north" and "south" would exhibit this in equal magnitude but
opposite direction?  It would surprise me, but then I've been
surprised more than once in my life and the natural world IS the
place to find surprises :)

[phyllotaxy refers to the natural "spiral" or "twist" in a plant.
Start at a leaf and count the number of spirals made until a leaf is
found directly above and in line with the first and then divide by
the total number of leaves passed.]

|  David G. Bauman                     Dawn G. Bauman            |
|  Collections Botanist                Greenhouse Manager        |
|  Indianapolis Zoo                    IUPUI, Biology Dept.      |
|  (317) 630-2060  voice               (317) 274-0584  voice     |
|  (317) 630-5153  fax                 (317) 274-2846  fax       |
|   |