Re: Vines and the Coriolis Effect

>It's my understanding that most species have a characteristic
>phyllotaxy.  Would we expect then that a given species planted
>"north" and "south" would exhibit this in equal magnitude but
>opposite direction?  It would surprise me, but then I've been
>surprised more than once in my life and the natural world IS the
>place to find surprises :)
>
>[phyllotaxy refers to the natural "spiral" or "twist" in a plant.
>Start at a leaf and count the number of spirals made until a leaf is
>found directly above and in line with the first and then divide by
>the total number of leaves passed.]
>
>|================================================================|
>|  David G. Bauman                     Dawn G. Bauman            |
>|  Collections Botanist                Greenhouse Manager        |
>|  Indianapolis Zoo                    IUPUI, Biology Dept.      |
>|  (317) 630-2060  voice               (317) 274-0584  voice     |
>|  (317) 630-5153  fax                 (317) 274-2846  fax       |
>|  dbauman@mail.indyzoo.com            dbauman@indyvax.iupui.edu |
>|================================================================|

Be that as it may, David, the Scarlet Runner bean vines in this part of the
continent of North America (Maritime Canada) and, as far North as {The
beginnings of the "True North" :)  } Yellowknife, Sweet Peas, are not
_right_ or _left_ "handed". They _will_ try to continue a twist, once they
have something to grasp onto, but they have a haphazard inclination to
spiral in one direction from what I have seen. Indeed, it seems to be in a
vine's nature just take advantage of what support is offered within its
biosystem.

I have left the old Scarlet Runner (and others; Morning Glories, etc.)
vines (don't ask) where they were when our Canadian winter set in. They are
perfectly preserved by the nasty cold winds and frosts, albiet leafless.

(sigh) More clean-up for me to do next spring!