Re: colocasia non-tubers

Dear Scott:

        I have also seen the colocasia references that you mention in
Mabberly. I would love to hear more regarding the classification of
Colocasia antiquorum and C. fontanesii as C. esculenta.  Having grown all
three, the growth habit is entirely different on all three.  C. esculenta
forms large tubers and is a clump former.  C. fontanesia runs vigorously
above ground and forms a semi-tuber, while C. antiquorum runs below ground
and forms no tubers, but a thickened rhizome.  Any more insight into how and
why these were classified as forms of C. esculenta would be appreciated.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603
ph 919 772-4794
fx 919 662-0370
USDA zone 7, 0F-100F
"I Consider Every Plant Hardy Until I Have Killed It Myself...Three Times" -