Re: Ambrosinia bassii

At 05:07 PM 12/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
>The bloom of my Ambrosinia bassii is finally starting to open and the
>bloom, itself, is starting to colour down. "Brown," or shades of, is
>inadequate to describe the outer spathe. With a magnifying glass and a
>little more time, I will be able to clearly discern the interior features
>of the spathe (this is more to my eyesight than to the need of a magnifying
>glass, I think).
>This tiny plant seems quite comfortable in Maritime Canada (New Brunswick),
>in a coolish south-western window as long as it is misted regularly. The
>sun, reflected from the snow, probably helps too. As a first time grower,
>this turned out to be an easy plant (for me) and well worth the while for
>those who like _small_.
>Kind Regards,
>PS: Carlo - Just as you said: Fascinating and unique!
>PPS: Thanks again, Fausto!
>Rand Nicholson
>New Brunswick
>Maritime Canada, Z 5b
>Hi Rand:  Did you start Ambrosinia bassii from seed or from a corm?  And
were you able to purchase it from a Canadian nursery/seed house?  I have a
collection of Biarum corms which came from Wisley Garden - they are planted
on a south facing windowsill and so far are just sending up leaves, although
one of them sent up a cute little maroon spathe and spadix in the open
garden last June.  Several have been left outside, in a sheltered spot and
heavily mulched, just to see what happens.  We usually get down to -28 but
this winter is supposed to be mild.

Fran Howey
London, Ontario  Zone 5b