Re: Grocery Store Aroids

Dear all,
  I ran across these pages and thought that some of you might be interested in
them since the subject of food plants is up.  These are database search
engines for finding the use of plants for medicine and food including plants
in the Araceae family.
<A HREF="http://indy4.fdl.cc.mn.us/~isk/food/plants.html">Native American
Herbal, Plant Knowledge</A>  is the home base of the pages I mention in case
you would like to check out ALL of the databases of which there are 6.  Slide
down to RESEARCH TOOLS.   <A HREF="http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/cgi-
bin/browse/foodplantdb">FoodPlantDB: classes</A> ;
<A HREF="http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/cgi-bin/browse/phytochemdb">
PhytochemDB: classes</A> and  possibably the greatest interest,
<A HREF="http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/cgi-bin/browse/ethnobotdb">EthnobotDB:
classes</A>.  This may be limited to North America, but not limited to North
American Indians.

I'm sure some of you can do a more educated search than I can since you are
more familiar with the common names which the data bases seem to like better
than the scientific names, but some of the plants I managed to find in one of
the searches were these:
Genus Acorus
      Arisaema
      Calla