Re: Inflorescence Odor Changes in Response to Temperature

>The temperature is again tonight dropping into the low 50degF point and
>it is very windy.  Since the wind chill will probably put the effective
>temperature far below 50, once again the water dwellers will spend their
>night in the garage. The Uropspathas have a number of inflorescences most
>of which this afternoon were exuding their characteristicly sweet
>melon-like odor.  Just a few hours later, the fragrance is gone.  I know
>this is not a response to darkness, as they were quite fragrant last
>night at 11PM.
(Snip)
>But I have not night heard of plants with flowers that respond to
>temperature.
>
>Don

It would make sense that plants that produce volatile oils and such to
produce an odour to attract pollinators would shut down below a certain
temperature. Most insects also shut down and become torpid at lower
temperatures, also.

Kind Regards,

Rand (-18 C)

Rand Nicholson