Re: Colocasia & Alocasia winter storage temp

I didn't bring my Alocasia mac. in last winter until frost had cut it down
in Deltaville, Va (7b).  Usually I pick the last tomatoes around Christmas,
when cold sets in until late February.  Normally the lows don't go below
the low to mid 20's (an oleander is in its third year nearby without winter
protection).  It sat in a bucket in the basement until spring when I planted it
out.  It was clearly set back but performing fine last time I visited it
14 Nov--no bigger than last year, though.  I do plan to bring it in if
frost doesn't get it tonight.

A patch of Colocasia growing next to it have wintered over for four years
now.  The usual pattern is the big central tuber gets badly frost damaged,
turning to mush, but lots of little ones sprout all around it.  It did
very poorly in this year's drought, which affected it more than winter
seems to.  I suspect, however, that if I wanted big leaf production I should
bring it in, as it seems to be slowly declining.

Clear skies,
| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, The Millimeter Array                |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (804)-296-0329 voice Help us build The Millimeter Array|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX           {>    {>    {>    {>      |