Re: OT: Cochiostemma odoratissimum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Cochiostemma odoratissimum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:13:35 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, February 06, 2000 12:53 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> does anyone know of a source for this plant (Commelinaceae)?
>
> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA

>I was looking for this plant a year or two back myself. I never did get
one, and would still like to find one.

Dear Friends,

I recently visited Selby Bot. Garden in Sarasota, W. Florida, and in
addition to their WONDERFUL collection of RARE Aroids on display, there were
at least two species of Cochiostemma, one was strikingly beautiful in both
it`s metalic leaves AND sprays of blue flowers!!!   I believe theirs were
from Central America.
Many years ago in the Jungle of E. Ecuador, just N.E. of Lago Agrio, I came
across a huge population of a species of Cochiostemma with elongate narrow
green leaves and HUGE sprays of bright blue flowers, they were common,
growing on low small trees, does any one have an idea what species this
could have been?

Cheers,

Julius
 ju-bo@msn.com