How to get your own Amorphophallus...........

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: How to get your own Amorphophallus...........
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:26:53 -0600 (CST)

Peoples,

After two seasons of bad harvest, we managed to get quite some surprlus
material this time from the Amorphophallus research collection. You'll find
the list below (incl. some non-phalloid items). First a few policy remarks
etc.

- the list contains plant names, often followed by clone numbers. If you
want a particular clone of a species (because you already had another one
from an earlier distribution and want to play with the naughty bits to get
seed.....), please mention the clone number with the species name. If you
want a clone, any clone, don't indicate a number.

- of some species, a limited quantity of material is available (I'm not
gonna tell you which ones). Those of you, who have contributed to the
collection in past times by donating tubers, will be "rewarded" first when
the rare species are over-demanded. That's the way life is, folks!!!!! And,
yes, I have a FINE memory.......

- after subtracting the priority-orders, the remaining material will be
evenly distributed over the remaining  orders in such a way that I hope to
get anybody at least something from their order when items run out. I hope
we succeed.

- the tubers will be sent with phytosanitary certificates.

- the tubers will be sent with the clone numbers, whether you requested a
particular clone or not. PLEASE, try to keep the clone number with your
plant on a label. There may come a time, when all of our collection freezes
over and I may have to ask your help to build it up again......(your WORST
nightmare, I know!).

- my paying policy hasn't changed, so here it is again. I am not asking
particular amounts of money for species, so rarity etc. doesn't matter. What
I ask you to pay, is what you yourself think the ordered plants are worth
for you, and please, DO include your own financial state-of-affairs in your
considerations. If you don't have much to spend, then don't. I'm happy that
you get these freaky plants.  If you have plants to swap in return, that's
fine, I'll be waiting for the offer.......

- do NOT pay before you get your plants. Then decide if everything is o.k.
Subtract from the estimated amount the plants that were DOA (and please,
mention this to me).

- paying: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, NO cheques or anything like it (incl.
money orders or what not). I only accept cash in an envelope. I know, this
is not the most secure way, but the hassle I have with cashing cheques is
beyond your imagination. It also costs a damn lot of money to do it. As if
banks didn't have enough money. So, don't even consider to do it or ask me,
the answer is "no"!, ONLY cash. If you can transfer money to my
postal(giro)account without me having to pay half of the transfer costs,
then that is o.k. too. This all sounds a bit strong, but believe me, I have
enough work as it is to get the tubers to the right addresses.

My postal address:

Wilbert Hetterscheid
Chrysantenstraat 28
1214 BM Hilversum
Netherlands

Giro acc. # 4086638 (Postbank in Arnhem, Netherlands), my address as above.

- direct all orders and related electronic correspondence to:
hetter@worldonline.nl

- PLEASE include your postal address in your ordering email. This has often
been forgotten in the past and that is a horror for the admin people. No
address, no plants.

- the CLOSING CEREMONY for this distribution is set on FRIDAY 25
February!!!! ANY order coming in later, will only be rewarded with
left-overs, if there are any at all. (Hell, even I don't know what
constitutes a "left-over" in Amorphophallus............).

- I assume that the shipping will start some two or three weeks after the
closing date. Please indicate if your climate is a danger to the plants in
that period. We may have to postpone shipping, although plants may wake up
in the meantime, which may complicate matters.

- print out or keep this entire message because I am not going to repeat
things in individual messages.

- when you order by using the reply key, please "cut the crap", meaning, cut
out all my statements above and stick to the list, your postal adress and
what you have to say yourself. Thanks.

So, folks, here's the list. Hope you find something to your liking:

A. ankarana (H.AM.048)
A. antsingyensis (H.AM.99)
A. albispathus (H.AM.019)
A. albus (H.AM.356)
A. arnautovii (H.AM.338)
A. bulbifer (H.AM.109; H.AM.136)
A. dracontioides [seedlings] (H.AM.1081)
A. eichleri (H.AM.007; H.AM.051; H.AM.406)
A. excentricus (H.AM.184)
A. glossophyllus (H.AM.242)
A. haematospadix (H.AM.114)
A. henryi (H.AM.085; H.AM.097; H.AM.234; H.AM.268; H.AM.271)
A. interruptus (H.AM.522)
A. konjac (H.AM.168; H.AM.248; H.AM.251; H.AM.304; H.AM.408; H.AM.613)
A. krausei (H.AM.004; H.AM.040; H.AM.083: H.AM.090; H.AM.091;
H.AM.092;H.AM.096)
A. lewallei (H.AM. 020; H.AM.021; H.AM.468)
A. longituberosus (H.AM.276; H.AM.289)
A. margaritifer (H.AM.422)
A. maximus (H.AM.053)
A. maxwellii (H.AM.361)
A. muelleri (H.AM.078; H.AM.288; H.AM.346)
A. napalensis (H.AM.227)
A. odoratus (H.AM.001)
A. paeoniifolius (H.AM.041; H.AM.042; H.AM.054; H.AM.094; H.AM.230;
H.AM.821)
A. palawanensis (H.AM.124)
A. prainii (H.AM.077; H.AM.088; H.AM.182; H.AM.187; H.AM.191; H.AM.196;
H.AM.1025; H.AM.1030)
A. richardsii/swynnertonii (H.AM.448)
A. scaber (H.AM.180)
A. symonianus (H.AM ?) (the name of this species will be officially
published in a next volume of Aroideana)
A. taurostigma (H.AM.027; H.AM.038)
A. variabilis (H.AM.024; H.AM.065)
A. yuloensis (H.AM.231; H.AM.337)

Gonatopus angustus (H.AR.067)

Gorgonidium vermicidum

Pseudodracontium fallax (H.AM.162)
Pseudodracontium harmandii (H.AM.793)

Spathantheum intermedium

Taccarum weddelianum (H.AR.061)

Typhonium albidinervum (H.AR.038)
Typhonium filiforme (H.AR. ?)
Typhonium flagelliforme (H.AR.073; H.AR.028)
Typhonium griseum (H.AR.044)
Typhonium huense (H.AR.178)
Typhonium lineare (H.AR.151) (as yet unpublished name)
Typhonium violifolium (H.AR. ?)
(generally Typhonium tubers are small, so don't be disappointed)