Re: Seed trouble

Shipping seeds takes some thought, (not much really) but you must have some
awareness of the massive machines that are used for processing mail. When I
shipped out aroid seeds recently, I first wrapped them in dampened newspaper
(ala Tom Croat style...it works!) then put the damp packette inside a small
zip lock bag. The whole thing next went into a small cardboard box, the size
used to pack cassette tapes for mailing. Since you can still possibly crush
the box by standing on it (this is my test for the mails), I decided to
sandwich the small box between pieces of corrugate and rubber band it all
together. It looked pretty ugly at this point, but once inside padded
envelopes, the seeds were pretty secure and protected. Using the small
cassette boxes was a good way to keep the package compressed enough to go
into a small envelope. This even fits inside the small letter rate Global
Express Mail envelope used by the USPS ($5 to anywhere in the world air mail
- guaranteed delivery in 5 working days...this has got to be the best postal
deal anywhere), and avoids any complications such as customs declarations on
larger parcels.

Just one way to do it, there are surely others.

Donna Atwood

<< Mine came in a padded envelope but I think they passed it through a metal
 roller! Perhaps it is time to go to thin boxes? or stamp them "hand cancel"
 (which let's the postal people know there is something worth taking inside
 the envelope :-)