Fw: buying amorphophallus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Fw: buying amorphophallus
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 00:18:39 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Julius Boos <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
To: aroid-l@mobot.org <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Saturday, February 03, 2001 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: buying amorphophallus

-----Original Message-----
From: R2OT@aol.com <R2OT@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Friday, February 02, 2001 11:58 PM
Subject: buying amorphophallus

>>My name is Zach Killoy.
I am 9 years old.  I live in MA.  I am interested in Aroids.
email address:   R2OT@aol.com                                          one
aroid genus i am interested  in is amorphophallus. i vvould like to get an
established collection but found that some more atractive rare species are
harder to find(a.gigas and a.pendulus) . is there anywhere that sells these 2
rare species?
<<
Dear Zack,
A big welcome to the world of Aroids, one of the most interesting plant families!   I became interested in this wonderful plant family WAY back when I was about your age (1955!!).   A few words to the wise--some of the species that you seem to REALLY want are big, expensive and VERY hard to grow plants, best left to Botanical Gardens and people who can afford the special green houses that they require to grow well up where you live, and these conditions (green houses) are sometimes needed for them even down here in 'hot'  Florida when it gets cool/cold!   May I suggest that you consider starting your hobby with some smaller species of Amorphophallus, and perhaps some of their cousins such as Typhonium, these would be easier for you to try to grow and to learn from, and as you get older, and more importantly more experienced in their care, perhaps you will then want to consider spending the money to acquire one of the much more difficult to grow and very expensive species that you inquired about.   If you write to this list again when it warms up in spring, someone will be willing to send you a 'starter kit' with a few species for you to try growing.
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you on this list again in spring.
Sincerely,
Julius Boos
W.P.B.,
Florida