Re: buying amorphophallus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: buying amorphophallus
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:06:55 -0600 (CST)

I remember when I was your age I discovered that while visiting South
Africa my grandmother had joined purchased copies of the journal of the
South African Botanical Society.  On reading through these, I discovered
that for the pittance of membership, which I could afford even on a 1958
allowance, I'd not only get the journal, but a number (20 I think) of
packets of free seeds of South African wildflowers, as part of their
preservation program.  I had no idea what these seeds were but a lot of
the fun of getting them (not many were viable after months at sea; I couldn't
afford air fare for them) was just seeing what came up.  I only wish I
had discovered aroids then, but at that time I had become fixated on
the proteas, which never did seem viable when I got them...later an article
appeard in the journal suggesting that the key to getting these seeds to
sprout was to provide a constant moist wind.  Weird...  Another I really
wanted was Disa uniflora but the seed never did anything for me.  Then
an article appeared in the journal suggesting that for success, I needed
soil from 'beneath the common black wattle tree...'  I've still never seen
a Disa.  What world of discovery there is out there.

BTW, the Botanical Society of South Africa is online at:
but it can sometimes be hard to connect...

Clear skies,
| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, Atacama Large Millimeter Array/US   |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (804)-296-0329 voice             Help us build The ALMA|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX               {>    {>    {>    {>  |