Dear Aroiders,

    Anybody out there has some kind of solid knowledge with Colocasia
esculenta varieties, cultivars, etc? Sometime ago Peter told us that there
was three varieties: C. esculenta var. esculenta (small, slustering tubers),
C. esculenta var. antiquorum (large, solitary tuber) and C. esculenta var.
aquatilis (long stolons). Are those varieties published anywhere? (i.e. with
authors, etc) What happened with variety illustris? What about that form
with an yellow blot in the middle of the leaves? The only complete treatment
I have (my Precambrian 'Das Pflanzenreich') cites lots of varieties and I
wonder most of them became synonims. Other interesting thing is that Engler
never use tuber characters (except for the description of the variety
aquatilis) so this is a new approach. Who did start to use tuber information
on the classification?  Engler's classification uses the proportional lenght
of the sterile appendix. Is this still important or was it proven to be
highly variable (like almost anything in aroids)?  I am sorry if these
questions were already answered before, but I couldn't find any satisfatory
answer in the aroid-l archives.

                           Very best wishes,