Off the topic of Aroids

Hi Everyone!

On a recent trip to Mongolia I saw an unusual plant growing in the
sparceness of the Gobi Desert.
It had one or two dark green oval leaves (I'm guessing about 6 cm diameter)
very close to the ground, and had a stalk coming up from the center with
seeds in a 3 lobed configuration.

I'm describing this in the even that anyone has even a guess as to what this
plant was.

My main question has to do with the the plantlet that grew when I planted
the seeds upon my return to The States.
They were somewhat difficult to germinate, and impossible to keep alive over
a month or two.

It was a typical with two cotyledons. The leaves, however, did not appear
from between them, but a seperate shoot came up from near the root system.

Is this typical of any family, genus of plants?

Any help is appreciated,

Nyles