Long growing season?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Long growing season?
  • From: "Susan Cooper" <SCooper@cooperpower.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:42:44 -0600 (CST)

Speaking of getting ready for spring and planting/checking on our tubers, some of my Amorphophallus never died back this fall.  I have A. albispathus (Is that the same as albus??), excentricus, and prainii all still looking perky.  These all came from MOBOT.  Two dracontiums I got from Wilbert (thanks, I still owe you!) didn't sprout until Nov-Dec and just put up a second leaf the beginning of February.

Last year everything (including these three) had died back before November.

These must fall in the category of temperate aroids, my house is pretty cold. Or maybe they last longer as the tubers are older?

In any case, I enjoy looking at the growing plants more than the tubers pouting in the basement. I know we are all getting anxious for spring!