Re: Colocasia

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Colocasia
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:05:37 -0600 (CST)

In a message dated 2/16/01 9:18:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<< but think
 that when you 'get into' the literature you will find that a lot if not most
 of the names used for the different forms/cultivars of this species are
 mostly 'informal'/unpublished names, and may number in the hundreds, >>

Well, I can say this.  Eduardo's original question was about subspecies
(esculenta/antiquorum/aquatilis), and their classification based on tuber
form.  Now we have gotten into cultivars, a completely different issue from
subspecies.  No doubt, each subspecies has a number of cultivars; it would be
interesting to see if any one subspecies has significantly more cultivars
than the others.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large