Fw: Miss Aroid Beauty Contest

  • Subject: Fw: Miss Aroid Beauty Contest
  • From: "julius boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:25:26 -0600 (CST)

Dear Ron and others,

Forgive me as I have NOT been following this train of letters debating the
merits as reguards the beauty of one Aroid against another, but would like
to cast my humble vote for the Urospatha sp. pictured on the front cover of
Aroideana Vol.1, No. 3 as being 'number 1'  in my book---put color to this
(purple maculations on a light yellow within the spirally twisted spathe, a
bronze exterior) and add HUGE narrowly sagittate leaves, their petioles with
purple snake-like maculations!!.
I`d also vote for the bloom on the cover of
Aroideana Vol. 2, No. 4, that of Pseudohydrosme gabunensis.   This can be
viewed in color in the photo section in the back of TGOA.
Another aroid
that is hard to beat for it`s sheer elegance, but will get no votes because
of it`s rarity is Anaphyllopsis americana, a blooming juvinile plant, far
from its best, is pictured on the cover of Aroideana Vol. 10, No. 2, and a
more mature plant is pictured on Pg. 14 of Aroideana Vol. 20.
I could go on discussing the sheer simple beauty of a well-grown but
Callopsis volkensii in bloom, the egg-yolk yellow spadix contrasting so well
with the virginal white spathe, and many others like this, but in a final
word is
there a really UGLY Ariod??    With the premise that 'beauty lies in the eye
of the beholder', I think not!!
 I do agree with Ron (below) on the scent of Spathiphyllums, one species in
particular, S. cannifolium produces a mesmerizing scent that haunts me to
this day, I first experienced it when about 8 years of age while swimming in
a wild jungle river pool in the Valencia river valley in my homeland of
far too young to even recognise arousal or sensuality, but instantly
recognising that special 'something', a scent I could then only file into my
'memory banks for retrevial at a better time/ age!   It is with me today as
I write, 48 years or so later.

Julius Boos

>>Really !   Spathiphyllum are much too graceful & demeure to allow
themselves to be
compared  in mere Beauty with painted gaudies, Peace Lilies are "Zen",
Spirit of Tao, with gentle grace, style, PURITY, subtlety,  simply exquisite
& of course they have scent which has often been described by sensual
romantics as being like that of the most feminine of women.   My Plants just
do not enter Beauty Contests though I believe there may some "hooker"
variegsates elsewhere who will crave notoriety.   No this Competition seems
to be for spectacular Aroid Royalty like Dany's Alocasia, (A. sanderiana, A.
watsoniana), Franks brilliant Aglaonema, dramatic Anthurium & not forgetting
Philodendron spiritu sancti & better lke P. joepiii but really their flowers
are often rather crude & obvious..  I would think that to some Diptera &
erotically hyper-orientated humans might regard Amoprphophallus as the most
beautiful.   If you want my choice for a Miss Other Aroid for Spaths I like
S. Cali, sometimes called S. Mini & S. "clevelandii" as in Birdsey
"Cultivated Aroids"  & the humble "true" S. wallissii best.  I still need
these "common" forms if ANYBODY might guide me to sources?
How abour ARISAEMA?

Can we REALLY call it a a MISS Aroid Beauty Contest.  Should it be MS Aroid
for plant hermaphrodites?   How about "LOVELIEST AROID CONTEST" then I could
enter my REALLY best Peace Lilies?