Evolution and the ugliest aroid

  • Subject: Evolution and the ugliest aroid
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:00:13 -0600 (CST)

Dear aroiders,

    Ok, I have tried to be out of the discussion. We can´t discuss faith,
but I have seen that many of you have lost the last 150 years! The diversity
of aroids is one of the best proof of evolution as a fact, not as a theory
to be tested. Subspecies (in a evolutionary sense) are everywhere! If you
start to study any group, you will be overwhelmed by evolutionary evidence.
Species complexes such as Philodendron bipinnatifidum and Anthurium harrisii
are perfect subjects to observe the hell of evolution "under construction".
Take a look out of the greenhouse and you will see.
    Anyway, if you want to learn a little more about "modern" evolution
theory take a look at the following books:

1. Darwin, C.R. (1859). The origin of species by means of Natural Selection
- It is THE BOOK. Despite almost everybody knows it, almost nobody have read
it! Try! It is still modern, even considering Darwin knew nothing about DNA.

2. Dawkins, R. (1986). The blind watchmaker. A serious argument about
Darwin´s theory. Try it too, it will not hurt you!

     There are maaaaany other books, but those are enough if you want to
understand the basis for the evolution. There are many questions to be
answered and some serious critiscisms on Darwin´s theory, mainly concerning
the pace of evolution. Some scientists really thinks that evolution can be
faster than it was expected by Darwin. I personally agree with them. The
nature of morphogenesis can lead to somewhat fast transitions. Anyway,
nobody could seriously prove that Darwin was wrong in essence. The details
of the process are still waiting to be discovered, but Evolution can be
considered a scientific fact, despite some of us will not feel confortable
with it.

   By the way, I want to also vote in the ugliest aroid. In my opinion, the
ugliest aroid ever is Epipremnum pinnatum cv. aureus (golden pothos). The
second place would be those variegated Alocasia macrorrhizos! Any other
vote?  :o)

                          Very best wishes,

                                 Eduardo.