Re: Plants The sixth sense

  • Subject: Re: Plants The sixth sense
  • From: William Perez <free.willie@verizon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:44:22 -0600 (CST)

> Descent with modification!
>
> Read 'The Panda's Thumb"  by Stephen Jay Gould.  Or any of his books, for
> that matter.
>
> Basically, changes occur with modifications with what's already there.  As
> for the panda, it has a 'thumb' that's evolved from a wrist bone or
> something like that.  That's why cows will always be cows.

Woops!!  I'm wrong here.  Descent with modification would apply to an orchid
flower looking like a bee.  Nothing new is created out of thin air, the
petals are simply bent and twisted, shrunk and stretched to look like a bee.

As for cows, hmmm, there's some deliberate manipulation going on there, with
the emphasis on "man"!  And man is simply choosing from the variability of
gene expression.