Re: Help-advice needed

Sounds like the gammet of tuber rot problems.

Use a drier soil mix.. and stop watering.

I have gonatopus as well (here in florida) growing rampantly in the backyard... When my pool was being built my sprinklers were turned off for 7 weeks, and we were in the biggest drought in 50 years.

The plant couldnt have cared less.

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> About 2 months ago I watched as my Typhonium pedunculatum's end leaves began
to droop and curl. I didn't know if this was a precursor to dormancy or some
problem with the plant. Over the weeks I watched more and more leaves curl
and droop until finally I unpotted it to find not much left of a rotting
tuber. It's gone.

But now I have (You S. Florida folk don't laugh, please.) a Gonatopus
bovinii that finished growing a new, robust petiole, about 1"-1 1/2"" in
diameter, to a height of about 4'. Ahh, it looked great with it's thick
shiny, mottled, glass smooth petiole. Then it sent up a flower stalk, then
another. The flowers have yet to open but the leaves of the plant began to
curl and droop, much like the Typhonium.

I looked for some sort of "bug" explanation but couldn't find any. I waited
for two weeks, but the droop did not improve. Finally, tonight, I unpotted
this thing, ever so gently, to find the roots and tuber in fine shape. I
repotted it, gently, with a fresh mix.

My question now is, what should I do that would be best for the plant. It
has been disrupted, some roots inadvertently torn, and it will not recover
without some help. Do I:
1. cut off both the flower stalks to allow energy back to the plant
2. cut off some of the outer leaves to allow energy back to the plant
3. leave it alone and let whatever happen, happen (The plant is
indestructible, or so I am told.)

I know that babies can be started easily from leaves (not quite as easily as
I am told though). I know this is a weed to some of you. But I am rather
fond of it and am not ready to lose it.

Please advise.
Thank you.
MJ Hatfield