(no subject)

  • Subject: (no subject)
  • From: Durightmm@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:03:00 -0600 (CST)

ANTHURIUM chamberlaini was first described in the 1888 Gardners Chronicle as a new species.
It was among  CATTLEYA orchids from Venezuela .  It was described as having a luxurious
scarlet red flower  and heart shaped leaves .   It was again mentioned in  Das Pflanenreich printed
in 1902.

It was listed with ANTHURIUM andreaenim which included 12 varieties and 16 hybrids.  Most
impressive for me was it’s cross with A. warocqueanum and veitchii.   A. chamberlaini has not
been mentioned since to my knowledge.   I was fortunate to buy it from a sales table at Selby
Botanical Garden in the late 70’s .  I can only presume it was an early Madison et al collection
however, there again,  is no mention of it in a SELBYANA.

My interest and curiosity is  if it is in collections.   Does anyone grow this beauty?  Any
information about it might serve us all.   Joe