Plants with no names

  • Subject: Plants with no names
  • From: "brian williams" <pugturd50@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:20:00 -0600 (CST)

OK I have two questions for everyone first is Xanthosoma Rebustrume a real
name? I have one with white and dark streaked stems. Going under this name.

  Second question! I have many Colocasia plants most seem to have no names.
I have found a few with Hawaiian
Now if I sell or trade a plant that has no names and seem to not be getting
any names besides Colocasia. Can I put a name on them?

Here is a more accurate description of that I have.

Colocasia red spot in center leaf pinkish white stem?
Colocasia pink white stem. From China?
Colocasia Red streaked stem?
Colocasia neon pink stem?
Colocasia Violet stem velvet like leafs that are ruffled?
Colocasia Violet stem leaf forms into bowl shape and catches water?
Colocasia dark green stem with thick dark leafs?
Colocasia light green to yellow huge?
Colocasia black stem?
Colocasia White spots and blotches?

Now I would love to know can I put name to these or do they have names?
Should the Hawaiian names I have for a few be the names I use on them? How
about the ones I don't have names for?

I really would like to call the white blotched one milkyway!

I know it would not be good for everyone who gets a plant to start making
names for them, what a mess. But I have looked and it seems all the names
given to these are either local names or names used by the few that grow
them as something they came up with? I do not like to take credit for things
I do not discover or hybridized. But these really do need names.

If that was not enough I have a few hybrid Xanthosomas and others
Xanthosomas that mutated that need names as well.