Re: [aroid-l] Subject: FW: Stolen cycads are returned to QBG

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Subject: FW: Stolen cycads are returned to QBG
  • From: Rand Nicholson writserv@nbnet.nb.ca
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:03:24 -0400

Hello All:

The retrieval of the stolen cycads by the Quail Botanical Gardens in Encinitas, CA and the San Diego Sheriff's Department Officers is great news: My best hopes that the plants do recover from the experience and continue to be healthy and thrive!

I had wondered (and feared) that these plants, or some of them, might not end up "in a
ditch along the road". The fortunate thing is that someone had either the conscience, or the fear of consequences, to inform the Gardens of their liberation site. Although the theft was indeed a dastardly deed at least one of the individuals involved must have had some appreciation of the intrinsic _value_ of these rare specimens as opposed to the common price in guilders they may have obtained through illicit trade.

To me, this begs the question: If so, then why steal them in the first place knowing the risk to the well being of cycads this action would entail? Greed? Covetousness? Surely such a deed must have had some forethought and planning and not have been done on impulse.

On the other hand, if the return of these plants was simply an attempt to mitigate any consequences following the theft (and possible apprehension of the perpetrators), then the whole affair is sadder still.

I have worked in administration in a "Correctional Institute", been regularly down in population and am overly familiar with the mindset and attitude of people who think that taking something that is not theirs to take is just another piece of work. Perhaps this is whimsical of me and it has no bearing on the events, certainly does not change a whit what has been so wrongfully done, but I would like to think that at least one of the thieves (and thieves they are, all) had a concern higher than his own butt.

Again, heart-felt congratulations to all of Quail and Julian Duval for this reversal of fortunes and thanks to Susan for keeping us updated on this List.

Kind Regards,

Rand

QBG

A sort of happy ending from the director of Quail
Botanical Gardens in
Encinitas, CA:
(Snip)

... The remaining six plants were recovered at the second
site amongst discarded debris including a long dead dog. While the
plants have suffered from this experience, staff are encouraged that all
can with time and care survive. While this is not certain and the
process may take over a year we are extremely pleased that all 21 stolen
plants have been returned to QBG.
(Snip)

Julian

Julian Duval