Re: [aroid-l] Typhoniums linked

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Typhoniums linked
  • From: "Balistrieri, Carlo" cbalistrieri@nybg.org
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:35:12 -0500

Actually Wilbert, I've split Homo sapiens. Plant people are obviously
another species entirely: I go with Homo dementus.

For one who's interested in plant nomenclature and taxonomy, albeit not
formally trained in either, this discussion is another fascinating look at
how these things get done (undone, and done again). Being trained as a
lawyer, the only righteous indignation I can arouse is when someone doesn't
follow the rules--or stretches them to the point that logic fails.

Whenever I get in a muddle about taxonomic/nomenclatural matters I fall back
on my short list:

1.  get the best information you can

2.  try to understand the reason for the proposed change.

3.  just for yucks, form your own opinion and see which side of the fence
you fall down on.

4.  remember that all this stuff is invented by us. NOTHING had a name until
man came along.

5.  the plants don't care.

6.  the plants don't care.

7.  the plants don't care.