Re: [aroid-l] Typhoniums linked to God Numbers

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Typhoniums linked to God Numbers
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@arachne.uark.edu
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:11:25 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:

> > Wilbert & friends your work is brill.   I hate taxonomy
>
> Am I being a fool or do others also not understand why good ol' Ron writes
> such a mysterious quote to a taxonomist?

Made sense to me, but I assumed by "hate taxonomy" he meant "hate the
ICBN" rather than taxonomists themselves or the work they do.

I have the highest regard for Wilbert, Tom, Peter, and all the other aroid
researchers - no one who has been around them at all will question their
incredible knowledge of aroids or plants in general. I don't question
their decisions about how closely things are related, either, even when I
(gently) harass them about the fallout.

On the other hand - as a complete amateur in botany but something of a
connoisseur of really badly designed data systems (having, unfortunately,
been exposed to so many!) - the ICBN is so very bad that I use it as an
example of how NOT to build systems. Few others provide so many
instructive bad features in one place.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu