Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease& sulphur

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber disease& sulphur
  • From: Rand Nicholson writserv@nbnet.nb.ca
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:44:45 -0400

Scott;

I do not have paeoniifolius unfortunately(I only wish), however I do have various species of bulbs, tuber and rhizomes, aroid & non-aroid, and have used sulphur on all of them for fungal and bacterial disease with a good amount of success. Fungus can be difficult inasmuch as you need to get all the mycorrhizae out of the tuber as the sulphur will only act on the surface of the cut part. You may need to cut deeper into what appears to be healthy flesh and drying the tuber (the newly cut surface) fairly quickly in low humidity has also been important in my experience. Perhaps there are others here with hands-on experience with paeoniifolius that may wish to chime in?

Rand

Rand: Thanks for your reply.. so this technique (sulfur) has worked with
paeoniifolius also?  Because I have actually cut away the necrotic tissues
and treated it with a fungicide paste, only to have the disease progress..
Is sulfur considering fungicidal?

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.