Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus "white form"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus "white form"
  • From: "Deni Bown" deni@yaxhampark.co.uk
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:41:18 -0000

Could I just add that it's always been a mystery to me why this magnificent
aroid isn't in cultivation. I came across a sizeable colony of the pale form
near some polytunnels of tomatoes (i.e. on waste cultivated land) and they
were simply gorgeous - very tall plants with huge spadices, some uniformly
pale green with either black or yellow spadixes, and others were variously
piebald maroon and pale green. Though described by Huxley & Taylor in
Flowers of Greece and the Aegean (1977) as "white-flowered", there were no
white spathes (or yellow ones)among the ones I saw, though perhaps others
colonies show other variants. I have no idea how common this form is, or
whether the colony I came across still exists.

Years ago someone read my account of this variant in my book (Aroids -
Plants of the Arum Family) and contacted me for the location so he could
bring back some seed. He promised me some seed in return for the info but I
never heard from him again.....

There really should be a serious attempt to introduce the pale form into
cultivation. If anyone has, or is likely to have seed, PLEASE let me know!

Deni Bown