Re: [aroid-l] Permits- THANKS!

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Permits- THANKS!
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:31:42 EST

Even when bringing in the plants as personal luggage, if you do have a lot of
plants, they have to be transported to the Agriculture Dept. by a bonded
company. Ag is usually away from the airport.  I have used brokers, even kindly
airline employees, and at least twice, Ag inspectors themselves (but this is not
the norm).  I've done 16 collection trips and I can honestly tell you that
getting plants inspected is always different.  While there no doubt are federal
guidelines, Miami, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco are all on
different pages.

Sometimes the airlines will want you to declare the plants with them and then
they transport them to Ag.  Other times, Ag inspectors will have you contact
a broker;  this is what usually happens.

I've not been on a collection trip since the mandatory Phytosanitary
Certificates are required (2002).  This is a new wrinkle in what has always been a
mysterious process -- but one that can be gotten through by having a pleasant
disposition and an Ag agent who did not wake up on the wrong side of the bed.
There are stories to tell, but I'm afraid this missive would be entirely too

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL