Re: [aroid-l] Permits- THANKS!

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Permits- THANKS!
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:54:28 -0600

I think you will find with the new regulations that you will have a far more
difficult time carrying anything through. Now Ag will pick up plants of less than
20 pounds free so far. It could take days to get it to Ag and then what do you
want done with them after that, i.e., sent to you or pick them up at Ag. It used
to be with less than I believe it was 16 plants they would inspect them and let
you through but it has been quite some time since I have seen them allow any such
thing. The guys at the airport really have little to do with plant inspection
other than you have them, and they must go to Ag. Every port is different. Most of
us think Miami is by far the most cooperative, but others may have had good
experiences with other ports. And of course, some have had not such good results
with Miami.

No matter where, I hope you have good luck.

When you ship plants into the US, you normally do have to have a broker to take
them to Ag from customs if they are declared such. Sometimes they will with small
packages just let them through, but lately they have been opening them and if
there is no permit, you never see them usually. Get my drift, the law is one way,
but what is done could be most anything. I have had seeds get through. I have had
seeds taken. I have had small boxes of plants go through without a problem.
Perhaps best to speak to the Ag station at whatever port you expect the package to
come into and ask them what to expect where they are since each station has
control over how things are handled making each station potentially different.