Re: [aroid-l] Tuber pricing questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Tuber pricing questions
  • From: "Bryant, Susan L." <SLBryant@scj.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:35:38 -0600

Hi Roz,
Yes, I gasped too when I saw the price!  A. candidissimun is one of my
favorites.
It is getting more common in the US, only a few years ago they were quite
rare here, at least as far as retail availability went.  They seem to be
much more common in the UK.
It is quite easy to grow from a tuber.  Just stick it in a pot or out in the
ground.
I was looking for some this year, too- (online, from retailers).  I saw
Ellen had "not available until fall".
Shipping prices for plants are getting very expensive, retailers are not
getting rich off shipping, but they must charge a price to make it fair for
all.  I found one site that was asking more for shipping than the price of
one bulb!
Anyhow, I ordered some from Naylor Creek,
http://www.naylorcreek.com/main/per1.html  I should say I chose them on
price alone, and I have not bought plants from them before.

The Alocasia I don't have any info on, sorry....

I do have the info you are looking for on calla lilies (Zantedeschia), it
will take me a while to find it... (I seem to be "Queen of the bookmarks").
The number of blooms has to do with the size of the bulb, and also the
variety.
I'll try to find the info and send it to you.

Susan