Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron list

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron list
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:30:28 +0000

Dear Abrimaal,

Philodendron atabapoense is quite different from P. spiritus-sancti. I have collected both in the field and they have completely different ecologies, as well as completely different morphology. The only similar aspect is that leaves in young specimens of P. atabapoense have wine coloured surface bellow, as well as adult P. spiritus-sancti. Such aspect just disappears when the plants of P. atabapoense get older. Moreover, P. atabapoense is a widespread species from Northern South America (occurring from Venezuela to the Brazilian northern shore in Amapá state) whereas P. spiritus-sancti occurs in a very restricted area in Southeastern Brazil.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia